Thursday, November 1

Holiday Confusion, the Weather and a Confession.

Today is November 1st.
It is 82 degrees outside and I am wearing a tank top.
AND there is a gigantic Christmas tree inside Kroger.

So many, many things are wrong with this picture. Before I get to the topic of the Christmas season starting before Halloween even comes and goes (yes, the Christmas tree was up yesterday... alongside the witches, jack-o-lantern and goblin decor), let's talk about the weather. Do you Texans remember the Thanksgiving that it iced and snowed?! I will never forget "ice skating" with my cousins on my grandparent's cul-de-sac that year. That concrete was frozen solid and my boo-tay certainly felt it a time or two! So fun, so wintry (wintery?), so... holiday!

And, my friends, I have been a Texan long enough to know that, even though the temperature is 82 degrees on November 1st, it could certainly still ice over on Thanksgiving. So I won't give up all my aspirations of busting it on the cul-de-sac quite yet... In the meantime, I'll enjoy getting a little more use out of my summer wardrobe and basking in the sun like an iguana. Which is, if you don't know, one of my favorite pastimes. Basking like an iguana. Not busting it in front of my entire family.

NOW... Kroger, I have a bone to pick with you. It's November 1st!! A Christmas tree, really? If we're all tired of Christmas by the time that it arrives, I fear it takes some of the happiness and joy out of it, don't you? If I've already heard every single pop artist's rendition of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" before I even have to don a jacket, don't you think we've moved a little fast?

By the way, don't ya'll think its funny that EVERYbody records that song? People's Christmas albums always make me laugh. In a good and appreciative way, of course. Check out some of this holiday cheer:


Sarah Young Frank, this one's for you. ;)

Elizabeth Seymour, this one's for you. ;)
And, this... This is for everybody. Nobody should miss out on this.


Priceless, eh?

So, anyway, I've been kind of snooty about this starting Christmas too soon thing, before the witches are taken down, before Thanksgiving has gotten it's proper due, while I'm still WEARING A TANK TOP, for gosh sake. I mean, this is NOT California, people.

BUT... alas, I must admit... I am a hypocrite.
Okay? Okay. Alright. I'll just 'fess up now before you find incriminating photos of me on facebook or something...

Yesterday, I enjoyed the HECK out of a gingerbread latte from Starbucks. 

Oh yeah, baby. As far as I'm concerned, Starbucks can start Christmas in JULY if they'll only sell me that incredible concoction known as a Gingerbread Latte; that creamy, delectable, Christmas morning tasting beverage that lights up my tastebuds with all kinds of comfort and joy. All kinds of good tidings. All KINDS of happiness and cheer.
Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm.

There. Fine. I said it. I'm a hypocrite.


SO. In short, I'm hanging up my attitude, turning down all my self righteousness and heading out this afternoon to enjoy the sunshine, the latte and, perhaps, a Christmas carol or two.
After all, it is November 1st.

'Tis the Season, ya'll!







No comments:

Post a Comment