Wednesday, April 7

Good Thing I Love My House

So, they call it "Modified Bedrest" and it's what they make you do when you are 33 weeks and 1 day pregnant and you start having contractions that hurt... Not those innocent little Braxton-Hicks contractions, my friends... The real ones. The ones that make your cervix start to thin out and begin that lovely journey to 10 centimeters of glorious dilation. The ones that feel like someone is twisting your uterus like a dish towel being rung out. Oh, uh, my apologies to any male readers out there. That may have been a little too much information. Actually, I don't think I have any male readers out there, except my Dad... who can totally handle a little cervix talk. The man watched my little brother be removed from my mother's womb, ya'll, like, actually watched it happen. He's crazy tough.

By the way, when Clay came out, he was asleep. Seriously, the child was totally chilling. Evidence of the cool cat he would grow up to be? I think yes. Check out the cool-ness... It's unparalleled, really.



I, on the other hand, came out screaming like a banchee... But are we suprised? My Mama says I was mad as a hornet about how long the whole process was taking and came out with a little conehead to show for it. Poor baby. No child should be compared to Dan Akroyd, seriously.


See what I mean? That's rather disturbing, actually.

While we're on the subject of me and my little bro, how about some fun pictures of the two of us?



Too cool for school...


And we like to flare our nostrils...


And we're REALLY HAPPY!!


Wow, check out my collar bones. I miss those. Oh, and also my cheek bones... and only the one chin. Hmmm... I'm sure I'll see that face in the mirror again someday... :)

Laila is so worth it, though. And she's definitely worth all of this laying around and missing my Starbucks.
In loving memory...


I liken this bedrest thing to naps in pre-school. Remember how much you hated having to take a nap back then? I mean, I remember loathing naptime, having to be practically strapped to my nap mat and threatened within an inch of my life if I didn't stay put and close my eyes! Somewhere around 5th grade, though, I began to see the value of that nap mat that was once so burdensome to my little preschool agenda. I began to long for someone to bust out a nap mat and declare that naptime had been instituted for middle schoolers and would we all please put our heads down and close our eyes?? Alas, it never happened... And, according to all reports, once Laila arrives, I will never again, in my entire life, ever have another afternoon in which I lay around thinking, "La di da... I wonder what I should do now..." All of you Moms out there are knowingly nodding your heads, slightly charmed by my naivete and saying these like, "You better enjoy that rest while you can!" and "Oh, if someone would only put me on bedrest!" and "Girl, you don't even know..." I know, I know. You're right. I should be grateful. Sigh.

Anyway, we're in the home stretch! Today is 35 weeks and, as of this next Monday, we will be home free and Laila can come any old time she likes! As my Grandat said, "She's already looking for the door!"

I just think she's an overachiever, ready to take on this great big world and anxious to get a headstart! "Hello World! I'm Laila Chapman and I've got work to do! I can't be bothered by things like due dates and lung development! Here I come!"

Okay, Little Champ, just stay in there 5 more days, will you? For Mommy?

6 comments:

  1. We are going through the preschool "NO nap" phase currently with Rhett. His little (determined) hard-headed personality thinks he has outgrown it. :-/ I've termed it on the weekends as "quite time" where we don't necessarily have to fall asleep, but we must be quite, and it seems to get him every time--a good 1-2 nap! I love you and lil' Laila, and can't wait to see y'all. Rest, dear Chels, REST while you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From someone who's done full bedrest and modified bedrest.... it's true.... REST WHILE YOU CAN!!! Much love, Emy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you to be a mommy. She's one blessed little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweetie! Didn't know you were on bedrest. Hang in there--I know it must be tedious! Can't wait to hear the news of Laila's arrival--she will be gorgeous and wonderful, I'm sure. :)

    Love you and praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are making the best of it. But it seems that's what you are good at :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chels,

    You are hilarious. This is so great. Unfiltered, perfect thoughts. Love you! Can't wait to meet Laila!

    ReplyDelete